After I posted about What not to Wear Men’s version I was inundated for more posts about the men. Of course following that post everyday a man comes by my office and asks if they look ok. I think I’m going to put a sign up on my door that reads: “If you have to ask…then No!”
But this post is about the man that uses after shave cologne. I’m a fan of aftershave if it is used in moderation. I have a vivid memory when I was little of seeing my dad shave and then “slapping” his face with Aramis cologne. It was his signature scent and I loved that I knew it was him simply by his aftershave. Studies have shown that women have a keen sense of smell and it is our strongest sense. Wearing a fragrance is a distinctive way of expressing yourself beyond the visual. It makes you memorable and forms an impression. But moderation men! Our office manager had to put out a memo that was gender neutral but was directed at a couple of men in particular who like to bathe in goodness knows what. If you see a memo about your body odor then it is time to moderate. (Do you see a trend about my office?!)
Here are a few don’ts:
- No Axe! Please let this go. If you have any in your medicine closet dump it. The 80’s are long gone.
- If someone walks by you and they are pinching their nose, pour whatever you slapped on your face down the drain.
- If you see people pointing at you and then turning to walk/run the other way it’s time to revaluate your smell.
- If your pet runs outside as soon as you walk into the room…then you need to shower off whatever you drowned yourself in.
- Justin Beiber and you are wearing the same fragrance then you need a reality check (same goes for One Direction, Elizabeth Taylor etc…)
- Your nickname is “Pepe Le Pew” then it might be time for you tone it down.
Remember fragrance should be discovered, not announced. A nice fragrance adds to your overall impression of being a sharp, put-together man. We know that dressing well ups your confidence (as long as you follow my rules). You just feel better when you look nice. Wearing a cologne enhances that feeling, as you’ll be confident that you not only look like a million bucks, but smell like it too. Just use some restraint!
PS Because y’all asked, the men will be a monthly topic, so me put on your big boy britches because I take no prisoners.